What items can be donated
Donate your furniture, appliances, home décor, and building supplies to our Habitat for Humanity ReStores – you’ll receive a charitable tax receipt and help build homes for families across Niagara!
Drop off your donations at one of our ReStores nearest you or let us pick them up for FREE.
Why donate to the ReStore?
It helps the environment. Every item donated to the ReStore equals less useable material being thrown in a landfill.
It’s good for the community Proceeds from every ReStore purchase help local families build brighter futures for themselves with Habitat for Humanity.
You receive a charitable tax receipt. You’ll receive a charitable tax receipt for items valued at $100 or more – that’s good for you!
We offer FREE pick-up. We’ll come and collect your large donation for FREE. Schedule your donation pick-up today!
What items can be donated?
We accept a variety of items from businesses and homeowners. All items must be in good, resalable condition, and we reserve the right to refuse any item. If you don’t see an item on either list, or have a donation question, please contact us. Please also know that occasionally we cannot accept certain items due to a large inventory on hand.
Items we accept:
- All appliances either working or not (we also accept metal waste
- Architectural Items
- Stained and leaded glass windows
- Cabinets must have all doors and drawers
- Must have no structural or water damage
- Exterior or interior
- Storm Doors with complete frame
- Sliding Glass Patio Doors (in frame)
- No rotted wood, broken glass, or peeling paint
- No doors over 84 inches tall
- Residential electric items only
- No donations of commercial electrical stock accepted
- Carpet Remnants must be unused, 10′ x 10′ or larger
- Area Rugs must be free from visible wear, tear, stains or animal smells
- Carpet Padding must be 10′ x 10′ or larger with no visible stains or animal smells
- Hardwood Flooring, minimum 80 sq. ft. or more
- Vinyl and Ceramic Tile must be at least 50 sq ft., no chipped or broken pieces accepted, must be new, in box
- Furniture must be free of stains, tears, pet hair/damage and in excellent condition
- Couches, futons, occasional chairs, stools, dining chairs, coffee tables, bedside tables, bed frames (including headboards & footboards) dressers, dining tables, office chairs, file cabinets, entertainment centres (must be solid wood) and book cases
- Wheelchairs, walkers and hospital beds
- Full boxes of nails, screws, fasteners, hangers, connectors, etc.
- Complete sets of door hardware, hinges, etc.
- Indoor and outdoor lighting
- Lamps (table or floor lamps)
- Pendant lights, hanging lights
- All lumber must be free of all nails and screws
- Sheetgoods (particle board, paneling, plywood) must be at least half sheets with no damage
- Trim and molding must be at least 5′ in length
- Must be unopened
- Quarts, gallons and 5-gallon buckets of latex paint only
- No rust on cans
- Paint exposed to extreme temperatures will not be accepted
- White or off white toilets (6 litre or less flush only)
- Stainless steel and porcelain kitchen sinks
- Pedestal and drop-in bathroom sinks
- Fiberglass bathtubs with no cracks
- Miscellaneous plumbing hardware
- No chips, cracks, rust or water damage
- Power tools, all types
- Hand tools
- Stationary tools
- Running and non-running cars, trucks, boats, RV’s, etc.
- Call the closest ReStore to you for details
- Windows must be double paned and in the full frame
- Christmas items (September through November)
- Dishes and cookware (Fonthill location ONLY)
- Free-standing wood stoves
- Gas logs
- Hand and power tools (in good working condition)
- Mirrors (must be framed)
- Palletized brick or glass block
- Palletized stone pavers
- Pianos & organs (call your local store)
- Solid surface countertops
- Wall art
- Window AC units
Items we have to say “No thank you” to:
- Baby furniture or items
- Bed mattresses or box springs
- Blinds, shutters and curtains
- Board games
- Chemical solvents and strippers
- Glass or mirrors without frames
- Helmets (hockey, bicycle, etc.)
- Incomplete bed frames (must have side rails and all parts)
- Oil-based paints
- Partial rolls of wallpaper
- Unframed mirrors or glass
- Unlit/lights not working Christmas trees
- Used carpeting
- Used pet supplies or materials
- Used playground equipment
- Used tires
- Weapons (guns, knives or ammunition)
Other organizations you can donate to:
What they accept: Clothing, linens, drapery, housewares, office supplies, giftware, records, tapes, CD/DVD, books, computers & keyboards.
What they accept: Clothing, housewares, furniture, electronics, toys, media, books, computers.
For the Needy - Not the Greedy Medical Equipment & Supplies
What they accept: Medical beds, lifting devices, walking devices, bathroom items, machinery, cushions.